As with any media, creating a Twitter account requires planning and commitment. With over 500 million users, your messages on Twitter have the potential to be spread to many people. However, if you want your campaign to be successful, there are a few important steps to follow:
1. Research: Before you begin your campaign, it is important to develop a plan both for guidance, and to avoid missteps once the campaign has begun.
You must be aware of:
- - Who you want to follow (who is your target audience?)
- - What you want to say (what is your campaign’s message?)
- - What you want to accomplish (gain awareness? Sell a product? Promote an event?)
2. Follow others: Following people on Twitter allows them to become aware that your account exists. Many people follow back the people that are following them, so following is important to help grow your list. When you first create your account, follow thought leaders, and people using hashtags or tweeting about your field.
3. Understand and engage with your followers: Be aware of who your followers are; knowing your demographic can help you to focus your tweeting material. It is important to also engage with your followers. Share, discuss, and retweet what your followers say so that they can make a connection with you.
4. Use hastags: Using a hastag helps to focus the conversation around your campaign, and makes it easier to track. As you want your hashtag to be unique, search Twitter to make sure it has not already been used. Before your campaign, promote your hashtag on your website and other methods of social media, and use it as an official news channel for tweeting anything about the campaign.
5. Be consistent: It takes time to build up followers on Twitter. Do not give up if you are not immediately successful. Pay attention to what your customers, followers, and fans want, and tweet it to them. If your fans are happy with you, they will spread your message to their followers as well.
Don’t forget to connect with OKD on Twitter here!